Knurling can be done with
many types of holders made for knurling or with any holder (or machine) made
for thread rolling.
Bump Knurling from the cross-slide with a single knurl is often the
easiest method. However, if a wide knurl must be applied, or the stock
size is very small, this method might not be suitable as problems with
excessive knurling pressure, or bending of the stock may result. In
this case a Straddle Type Holder should be used.
When Knurling from the
cross-slide with straight knurls in a straddle type holder without a
connecting gear train, a certain percentage of parts may be expected to
double track as the two knurls are tracking independent of each other.
With knurls 30 TPI and finer the problem is minimal.
- Bump Holders
Best Suited to shorter work or longer work if knurling can be done
close to the chuck or tail stock.
- Straddle Holders
Use Right Hand and Left Hand knurls to produce a diamond pattern
also may be traversed to produce long knurl patterns.
- Internal Holders
- Often used to repair parts with slightly oversized holes.
- Face Holders
- Suitable for knurling narrow bands (especially on tubing).
- Turret Mounted Holders
Mounts inline with the machine spindle. Use Right and Left
Hand knurls to produce diamond pattern.
- Conical Holders
- The best way to knurl on the face of a part. A special conical
knurl is required to provide correct tracking.
- Self-Centering Holders
- Pivoting Head floats to align with the part to be rolled.
- Angular Bump Holders
- For knurling on a chamfer.
- Synchronized Rolling Heads
- Used where rolled parts must be very precise, especially when they must
fit a mating part.
- Many specials can be made by modifying a stock holder. Most
stock holders are shipped within 1 - 2 days.
- Simple Specials made from scratch usually require 1 - 2 weeks.
To order an altered stock holder, make a sketch of what
you require, or find the catalog page with a holder that most closely
resembles your required holder. If possible, copy the page and draw an
arrow next to the tool number of the closest match. Then write down the
changes, such as "C=7". Include your name, phone number and the
quantity of holders you require (if more than one). Fax the page to
Form Roll at (508) 755-5835, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on knurling tool holders contact our holder division,
Stafford Special Tools.